Lady Willingdon Institute of Advanced Study in Education is situated on Kamarajar Salai, Triplicane, Chennai - 600 005 just 3 Kms. from the Fort St. George,the head quarters of Government of TamilNadu.The spacious and majestic buildings located in a vast premises of 16 acres overlook the world famous sprawling Marina Beach, beside the Bay of Bengal, which is one of the longest and beautiful beaches in the world indeed. To its north, just a few meters away, lie the guest House of the University of Madras,the beautiful palatial building of the Presidency College, the P.W.D building and the famous Madras University;to its south,the Queen Mary's College,the office of the Director General of Police,the All India Radio station and the historical Santhome Cathedral Church are situated.It is easily accessible by road and also by railways through M.R.T.S.
GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
During the later part of 19th century, there was a Hindu School for Girls at Ice House,the first of its kind in Chennai, which was managed by the Vijayarangam Trust.It was then taken over by the Government of Madras Presidency. This Hindu School was upgraded into a Training Institution, meant for training Elementary and Secondary Grade Women teachers, in the year 1913.In the year 1922,the Training Institute was renamed as 'Lady Willingdon Training School' after the name of the wife of the then Governor of Madras Presidency. In the same year, the Lady Willingdon Training College was established to fulfill the long felt need for training women graduates as teachers for the High Schools. In 1940, after 18 years of struggle amidst inadequate accommodation and equipments, the college moved to its present site with spacious building and gardens. The present college was meticulously planned and completed in the year 1945.
Miss.J.M.Gerrard was the first principal and had the longest tenure of service from 1922 - 1946. In 1922 - 24, the first batch of 23 women graduate were presented to the Licentiate in Teaching examination of the Madras University and they obtained the L.T.Degree.
Initially the college offered two levels of teacher training programs for women viz., (1)Licentiate in Teaching for graduates and (2) Secondary Grade Teacher Training for post-matric students and Elementary Grade Teacher Training for those who completed the school course. Apart from this,from 1923 to 1940, except for the year 1931-32,the Physical Training Diploma course for women was also conducted in the Lady Willingdon College and the same was shifted to the college of Physical Education, Saidapet, in the year 1940.
In 1941,the Licentiate in Teaching Degree was replaced by the Bachelor of teaching Degree and by the Bachelor of Education from the year 1972-73.The Secondary Grade Training and Elementary Grade Training courses was renamed in 1950 as Senior Basic and Junior Basic respectively. Subsequently, the Senior Basic Training was replaced by the Teacher School Leaving Certificate course and redesigned as 'Diploma in Education' now transferred to 'District Institute of Educational Training' located in the same premises.
The Tamil Pandit course was functional during the period 1964-99.The short term B.Ed. course was in vogue from 1972-October 1975.The M.Ed. course,which was started as Evening college course in 1972,was converted into Regular Course in 1981. Pre-primary training course was imparted in this institution till October 1985.M.Phil. in Education both Full time & Part time courses was started in the year 1998 - 99.
The Lady Willingdon Institute of Advanced Study in Education celebrated its Golden Jubilee and Platinum Jubilee in the years 1972 and 1999 respectively.
To add one more feather to its crown, Lady Willingdon Institute of Advanced Study in Education is the 'First' Government Institution to be accredited at the level of FIVE STARS by the National Assessment & Accreditation Council (NAAC) after the assessment of the peer team that visited the Institution in February 2000.
Another major impetus to the institution was the conferring of autonomous status on 05 July 2006, which has propelled the institution to greater heights to meet the challenges in the field of teacher education.